In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Abplanalp Library, UNE

Pincushion Box, Zachiariah Brackett Stevens Tinware, ca. 1820

Contributed by Abplanalp Library, UNE
MMN Item 29228 Item Details
Pincushion Box, Zachiariah Brackett Stevens Tinware, ca. 1820
MMN Item 29228 Zoom

Description

Made by Zachiariah Stevens for his daughter Emmeline, this tinware pincushion box came from the attic of the Zachiariah Stevens / Cordelia Pierce home, Stevens Plains, Westbrook.

Zachiariah Stevens opened the first Stevens Plains tin shop in 1798. He and his sons were tinsmiths. They made the tinware and peddled it through northern New England and Canada while the Stevens women decorated and painted it.

Zachiariah Stevens and Oliver Buckley, also a tinsmith, donated the original eight acres on Stevens Plains for Westbrook Seminary.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.